Sunday, May 16, 2010

Man At Work

Sewing on Scrapbook pages to many is a little strange but I’ve been doing it for a while now. I got my sewing machine as a 21st Birthday present from my parents and in reality I think I’ve used it more for sewing scrapbook pages than anything else. Since I got it overhauled at the Sewing Machine Repair shop here in Fort Worth its worked like a dream and I keep it set-up and ready to go. So this weekend when the topic for class was sewing on pages I knew I would have no problem.

The build-it page which Nic Howard does each week gives you all the directions to make a page down to the paper sizes and everything. Her page though this week was all floral and only had one picture. I have so many pictures to scrapbook that I really don’t want to do one picture layouts and I’ve done so many pages in recent weeks for Eleanor that it was time to do one for Philip and so no floral for me.IMG_4420 (Large)

The pictures are from the Homestead Thanksgiving Fair we went to last Thanksgiving near Waco Texas. If you’ve never been to this fair you need to go in November. We had a great day arriving as they opened and staying late into the afternoon. The kids got to try their hands at many traditional skills from butter making to wood crafting. I love these pictures are they show how Philip was so engrossed in what he was doing. He worked on that spatula for over an hour.

To make the layout you cut the square center out of one piece of patterned paper and insert a neutral piece back in. Then I distressed all the edges of the papers. I sewed a border around the center square to add some dimension. Check out the heart on the picture to the right where I added a heart which I sewed using my machine (go me!). The title is made from a mix of different letters from my collection – a great way to use up some different letters when you don’t have enough for a full title. The Man was plain chipboard which I painted red and added some black ink around the edge. If you look closely behind here you will see a grey cardstock gear cutout – I got this recently – its made by little yellow bicycle. Love it for using on a boy page and as I only used about half of one piece I will be using this again in another layout soon I’m sure.

No comments: