Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dance Celebration

So today is the start of week 8 of my 13 week course and I’m dreading the end of it all. Last night I decided I wanted to make a layout myself using some of what I’d learned over the last 7 weeks. So I got to work on a layout from one of Eleanor’s dance shows. This morning I laughed when I read the handouts for this week to find that this week is basically a challenge week to use your five favorite products on a layout. I’m not really sure what my favorite five products are. They change all the time especially when I’m doing a class like this. But here goes :-
My Gazelle – I love to be able to cut out letters of any size
Cardstock – can never have enough colors of cardstock especially textured with a white core.
Ink – such a versatile product. A swipe of ink here and there can make the difference to a layout
Chipboard – any type color or shape. Love all the things I can do with this from inking to painting.
Sewing Machine – my sewing machine is featuring more and more on my layouts especially as I’ve found a place in my room where I can leave it set-up and ready to go. The texture and dimension it can add so quickly makes it really versatile.

IMG_4454 (Large) So the layout I made. Purple – not a color I use that often but the dancer were all required to wear purple so I had to go with purple. The patterned paper is one of my favorite patterns from CTMH but one I struggle to use as its such a bold pattern. The half circle I think is just enough not to overtake the picture. I had fun playing with the title to make it using a mix of plain white chipboard (I did nothing to it – tempted but didn’t) and then the black MM foam glitter letters. I added a border of sewing around the whole page, sewed around the picture down the plain edge and added zig zag sewing around the circle. The edge of the circle was also inked and paper curled to add more dimension. The light purple strip is using my new Martha Stewart punch – way cool - thanks to May Flaum to putting me on that one. It looks like lace ribbon when its done, although I covered one edge with the white flowers. Those white flowers I got at the The Great American Scrapbook Convention in Arlington Texas about three years ago. That’s coming up again soon and I need to decide if I’m going to have a look see. Last time I was disappointed but I’ve heard that Tim Holtz is going to be in attendance this year which may make the drive to Arlington worth it.
The other secret about this layout is the program for the show which was on bright orange copy paper is in a pocket I made especially for it on the back. Then Eleanor can refer to it in the future but we don’t need to worry about incorporating it into the layout – especially with that yucky color!

1 comment:

May Flaum said...

Love the layout - glad to enable you. Don't you just LOVE that punch?!